Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Why buy new?

So, my friend Jennifer and I were in consignment heaven last night!! We both love places like Kid 2 Kid and Once Upon a Child, so to learn about the most enormous consignment sale in the metroplex, we were fired up! There's a company, I guess you can call it that, called Just Between Friends, and they host really big consignment sales throughout the US. This week the one in Ft. Worth is at the Will Rogers Center downtown. It actually starts today and runs through Friday, but we got a little VIP treatment. Last night was the "sneak peek" for the consigners (those are the people selling their kids clothes), the volunteers, and first time moms. Well, since I'm a first time mom, I qualified to go last night and I could bring a friend. It was from 8-!0:30....18,000 sq.ft of "stuff." I'm telling you they had 50 strollers, beds, dressers, rocking chairs, every toy that Toys R Us carries, clothes clothes and more clothes, shoes, books, DVD's...you name it, they had it. I'm not sure how little girls are with their clothes, but boys are rough! Hayden spills things, gets dirt all over his shirts, wipes his hands on his pants etc etc. So, I basically buy Hayden nice clothes for church and going places with friends or just for being out and about, but day to day clothes and school clothes....Consignment stores baby! Let me just tell you what I got last night (and keep in mind everything I got was Gap, Ralph Lauren, Old Navy, and Gymboree). 12 shirts, 15 pair of shorts, wind pants and jeans, one pair of shoes (you know those Adidas sandals you can buy that you just slide on your feet....his shoes are like that with a strap on the back) and 4 big toys. (a Little Tykes rocking horse..actually a dog, Little People roller coaster type toy, Leap Frog Learning Drum, and a 3 in 1 sport toy (basketball goal, golf set, and baseball all in one toy) Go ahead, guess in your head how much I spent.........................$124! That's right. I am so excited. This child has his entire spring/summer wardrobe and it's only February. Even better news is that the fall/winter sale is in September. You can guarantee Jennifer and I will be there. So, if you've never been to any of the stores I've mentioned...go... or would like to check out the jbfsale.com website to see if there's a sale like this close to you....do it! You might think Jenn and I are white trash, you may think "I only buy my child brand new clothes." That's fine, but my friends wise up, take the consignment plunge, and when you finally do, you'll never look back. If your child spills red Kool-Aid down the front of that cute white polo you bought him, who cares...it only cost THREE DOLLARS.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made out like a bandit! it was so fun! I think I am just addicted to buying kids clothes, I spent an hour and a half at Gymboree today, and then went to a childrens boutique after that. I have major problems. We definitely need to go again! jen

Alexis said...

Hey Andrea! It's been a long time since I've seen or talked to you! I am one of your blog stalkers!! I too love to read peoples blogs...it's addicting! Thanks for continuing to keep us updated on your family! You can stalk my blog anytime...
www.thekennedyjourney.blogspot.com

Summer said...

Hey Andrea!
I have been meaning to write, but as you know, I have been napping alot lately. Two things-- First, Thanks for your comment about the Gift of Giving post. I appreciate that you shared this with your class. It's been such a blessing to our small group. Second, I too am all about consignment! In Abilene, we have a citywide consignment sale called Dittos for Kiddos! I love it. I went last night and got several cute summer things for Ava. I can't imagine paying for full price for kid clothes! At this point, even Target feels expensive. I'm pretty cheap! I'm even a consignor so I can go to the presale, and my goal with consigning is to sell enough to break even on what I buy. Glad you and Jen had fun!

Laurie said...

Just wanted to let you know I read your blog from time to time. I found you through Hollee Ford (she was my best friend in college) but I also married an ACU guy-Russell Frantz, so we actually have a lot of mutual friends!
Anyway...glad to see you are back to blogging. Your little boy is cute...and I LOVE "Just Between Friends" too!! I go every time they are in the Dallas area!